Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

The question for periodontist who already has been using

Customer Question

the question for periodontist who already has been using LANAP. Does it really work or just a new toy?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I saw that you were waiting so I will give you a little information.There are no periodontists per se on this site but several dentists have extensive experience in periodontics.The first thing is that there is no clinical research that proves that Laser therapy for periodontics has any benefit over conventional methods.Anything that you read that say that they do,are probably written or sponsored by the laser machine companies that want to sell lasers.The other thing is that most dentists and even periodontists do not do laser therapy because the machines cost over $30,000 and the cost to maintain them is astronomical.If you are being pushed into this therapy,you will most likely pay a premium price to supplement the cost of the laser machine. Here is an article that the ADA has published reiterating the fact that lasers provide no added benefit to your periodontal therapy over conventional methods. http://www.ada.org/en/about-the-ada/ada-positions-policies-and-statements/statement-on-lasers-in-dentistry

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there any other information that I can provide for you? LANAP is a treatment method that can work but the decision to use this method is really up to the practitioner. A new Cadillac and a 5 year old Buick will both get you to where you want to go.It is your decision if you want to spend the extra money.Normally you will find that the Laser method will cost you more.