Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

The question for periodontist who already has been using…

Customer Question
the question for periodontist who...
the question for periodontist who already has been using LANAP. Does it really work or just a new toy?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
2/13/2016
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

I saw that you were waiting so I will give you a little information.There are no periodontists per se on this site but several dentists have extensive experience in periodontics.The first thing is that there is no clinical research that proves that Laser therapy for periodontics has any benefit over conventional methods.Anything that you read that say that they do,are probably written or sponsored by the laser machine companies that want to sell lasers.The other thing is that most dentists and even periodontists do not do laser therapy because the machines cost over $30,000 and the cost to maintain them is astronomical.If you are being pushed into this therapy,you will most likely pay a premium price to supplement the cost of the laser machine. Here is an article that the ADA has published reiterating the fact that lasers provide no added benefit to your periodontal therapy over conventional methods. http://www.ada.org/en/about-the-ada/ada-positions-policies-and-statements/statement-on-lasers-in-dentistry

Is there any other information that I can provide for you? LANAP is a treatment method that can work but the decision to use this method is really up to the practitioner. A new Cadillac and a 5 year old Buick will both get you to where you want to go.It is your decision if you want to spend the extra money.Normally you will find that the Laser method will cost you more.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)