Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a toothache for 2 days and took antibiotic bactrim,

Customer Question
I had a toothache...

I had a toothache for 2 days and took antibiotic bactrim , now the toothache is gone but my jowl is swollen and sore,what should I do ?

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The tooth was very sore for 2 days but today the swelling is under the jawline and it tender. It also tingles a bit

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
1/30/2016
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Bactrim will not cure a tooth infection nor will any other antibiotic.Teeth are different from other parts of the body in that antibiotics cannot penetrate the pulp of the tooth.The preferred antibiotic is penicillin ,amoxicillin or clindamycin.Bactrim is good for urinary tract infections but not for teeth.There are two choices when you have an infected tooth: root canal therapy or extraction.Any antibiotic will only keep the infection from spreading temporarily and then the pain and swelling will return.Most dentists have a 24 hour emergency line.You need to get on some penicillin ASAP and get into a dentist office very soon to have this tooth treated.These type of infections do not go away unless treated .In the meantime,rinsing with some hydrogen peroxide or a strong salt water solution can help to keep the area clear.It is important that you get on the proper antibiotic and get some treatment.I am sorry but there are no easy cures for this type of problem.

Is there any other information that you need ?

If you are finished with your questions,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site.Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)