Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

Sharp pain in my tooth and ear

Customer Question

Sharp pain in my tooth and ear
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, is your tooth a lower molar? Is a tooth sensitive to hot or cold foods? To biting? Any swelling? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I eat and drink
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think I need a root canal

Thanks for the information. It is very common to have referred pain from a lower molar to the ear. The cause of the pain is because your tooth needs attention. Once that is taken care of your ear will just fine. There is nothing wrong with your ear so do not worry. I suggest you call your dentist in morning and get in so that yo can be treated. It appears that a root canal may be in your future bit txt would be determined after an Xtay and pulp testing and examination. Does all this make sense to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea that's what the dentist said how bad is a root canal

A root canal if done properly is completely painless. If your General dentist is experienced doing root canals he may want to do it for you. I personally would want a specialist to do a lower molar root canal because they normally can do it faster and with no pain. Your choice ! It takes about an hour to do at the Endodntists office.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is normal for your cheek to hurt to and also can they put you to sleep wile during your root canal

Yes your cheek can hurt too. Not all dentists use sedation but there those that do and you can be referred to one of them if you wish. Most root canals are not done under sedation because they can be done painlessly without the need for sedation. But if you are anxious about it discuss it with your dentist and get a referral.

Do you need any more information because I will be signing off for the night in a few minutes. If not please remember to accept our conversation so that I get credit for responding. Thanks and have a great evening.

Hi, I am available if you need more help.

Are you ok??