Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have had a dental implant and gum grafting done, on the…

Customer Question
I have had a dental...
I have had a dental implant and gum grafting done, on the second tooth from the front and I had the gum graft pulled down from the above area. I have been left with my smile being wonky my lip feels as if it can't lift up as much due to the gum being pulled down.. I had it done back in October .. Can you give me any advice .. Can I have this fixed ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
1/27/2016
Dentist: Dr Aires, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr Aires
Dr Aires, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi This is Dr Aires.

There is something that can be done. I would give it a few more months as it can take upto 8 months for your lip to return to normal. If necessary an additional surgery can be done to release the lip from where the graft was brought down. Could you possibly send me a photo of your smile

One more question. Have you had the crown placed yet onto the implant?

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I have sent one from before the gum graft also, and no I haven't I have a Pontic in my brace
I have a Invisalign on at the moment

Yes please call(###) ###-####Or I can call you if you leave me your number.Dr Aires

my number is *****

I could not get through to the number you gave me. Please confirm the number or call me.

Hi sorry tried to call you and won't let me through either are you in the uk?

I'm in California! Maybe we can do a Skype call. I need to have Wi Fi. I'll be on wi Fi in about 30 minutes. My Skype user name is iaires

Oh that will be why, no problem do you think you could give me advice over this are my pictures enough ?
I don't have Skype that's all, by my pictures is this normal for this procedure my dentist just basically said its not that bad and it's worth it for the tooth ... In your opinion will it go back to normal ?

I have seen this before.It sometimes can take upto 8 months for the lip to regain its shape.In the event that it does not ask your dentist if he can do a relieving incision above the area where the graft was pulled down as you may have scar tissue that is preventing the lip from behaving in its normal fashion.

Ok thankyou can this be done at this stage or will I have to wait longer, it's really effecting my confidence but I don't want to make it worse so if I have to wait that long I will, but I'd rather not

You could do it now.Probably best to do it when you go in for your new crown to save you a visit.

I have had bone graft also which feels bulky could that also the the problem ? Or is it more likely to be the gum ?

Yes the bone graft also may need to be reduced if its too bulky.Can you feel the bulkiness by pressing on your lip? What type of temporary are you wearing ?

Not on my lip no but I can feel it when I run my finger over it, I have a temp tooth placed in my Invisalign brace at the moment. The bone graft feels like it's over my front tooth the one next the the implant and that's where it feels like it's starting to slope, I'm nt sure why she has put bone graft over the other tooth
I'll attach a photo of the gum, it's on the right side on the picture you can see a lump in the gum in between the front tooth and the second tooth and if you comepare to the other side the gum is a lot lower and bulky

OK so it may not be the bone graft itself but the way the lip is now attached to the area above the graft and above the implant area as well.I would ask the dentist if she agrees with doing the relief incision where the lip meets the gum area. It may not help but it cannot hurt so its worth trying to free up the lip if possible.Hope this helps.I also think once you don't have to wear the invisalign and have a normal size tooth in the area there will be an improvement in your asymmetric smile.

Ok great I will, I have sent you a image of the bone graft lump above, do you think that looks normal ? Sorry to bombard with questions just happy to get awnsers

Yes I definitely see the bulky area and its just what I thought.This area can be reduced with a relatively small procedure.She will numb the area make a small incision,reduce the bone and close the incision without too much tension so she does not pull the lip down.

Ok thankyou so much, you have been very helpful X

Ok you are welcome. I would like you to send me a photo a few months after you have the treatment and with your new tooth!

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine