Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Do you know if all American Dental labs are required to not…

Customer Question
Hello, Do you know if...
Hello, Do you know if all American Dental labs are required to not exceed a certain level of radiatioactivity in zirconium crowns and how is that enforced? I'm worried the lab may get the zirconium from cheaper, unsafe sources for larger profits and the dentist wouldn't know. I understand some zirconium can have high levels of radiation and wouldn't want that in mine or any patient's mouth. How can a dentist ensure the lab he/she buys from is using safe materials? Do Labs have to list ingredients and sources and level of radioactivity for material that goes in people's mouths?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
1/25/2016
Dentist: Dr. Hegland, Dentist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist

Very good question! So as far as lab standards there can be a range of acceptable parameters depending on location of the lab. I practice in Minnesota which has great standards for tracking material origin/content. The following website https://mn.gov/boards/dentistry/licensure/dentallab/ is a resource you could look at that gives you an example of MN lab registration and requirements. Just because you live in a specific state, doesn't mean your dentist is using a lab within that state so that too must be verified with providing dentist with the lab he/she uses. One specific statement from MN site is "The statute requires that dental practices in Minnesota use dental labs that are registered with the Minnesota Board of Dentistry if the lab is located in Minnesota. Dental labs in other states or countries may be used, but must still adhere to the regulations regarding disclosure. " Does that clarify or provide you with the answers you are looking for?

thanks. Best to find out the dentist's lab and look into governing dental board of that state where the lab is located.

Exactly, and there is a huge difference in the states in regards ***** ***** for documentation. Minnesota is pretty thorough, which is great for patients and dentists! Also, some labs will be located in the US but bigger labs will outsource lab work overseas and it is much harder to know what kind of product you are getting. So if this is concerning to you, definitely have a discussion with your dentist on their labs. Personally, I use local labs who will come and meet with me quarterly to give me updates of materials, new process and so on. Sometimes that can cost a little extra on the my end, but the service is worth it! If there is anything else I can answer please let me know and I'll try to clarify!

If you could please rate your experience it would be appreciated for the site to maintain quality assurance.