Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had a tooth extraction back in oct 2015 and after sometime…

Customer Question
***** ***** i had...

***** ***** i had a tooth extraction back in oct 2015 and after sometime i had a metallic taste but then it went away. then in early jan i had one tooth filling for a tooth next to the one which was extracted. since 2 weeks now i am having a metallic taste in my mouth.

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I don't take any antibiotics at all

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
1/25/2016
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

The Most common cause of a metallic taste is a side effect from medications. However, it could also be a sign of kidney problems, diabetes, liver problems and cancer. Which is why if it persists you need to see your physician for an evaluation.
The following are the best websites for information regarding a metallic taste in your mouth.

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/04/8-possible-causes-for-that-metallic-taste-in-your-mouth/

http://www.healthline.com/health/metallic-taste-in-mouth#Overview1

Hope this helps you figure out what is causing your present issue. If you need more information please let me know. Thanks.

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 2 years ago
Stewart Shernan

A common cause for metallic taste is bleeding gum tissue and removal of amalgam (silver / metal) fillings (without the use of a "rubber dam"). There is some bleeding when a tooth is extracted. This may well have accounted for the metallic taste. And when your filling was replaced it is possible that the removal of the older filling (if metallic) caused the taste. Has the taste persisted ?

Dr. Shernan

no, sorry it is still there.

Since you have not been able to discover the cause and have ruled out sinus issues, medications, or dental related issues I suggest you call your physician and get a referral to an Otolaryngologist who can do a taste test to help determine the continuing cause of your metallic taste. Hope this next step will solve your problem! Good luck.