Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had 3rd lower tooth on left side extracted. Since then, I…

Customer Question
I had 3rd lower tooth...
I had 3rd lower tooth on left side extracted. Since then, I can't open my mouth wide. I can eat small pieces of food, but no sandwiches. I have no pain when chewing. However, it hurts to try to open wide. Dentist says it will go away. It's close to 4 weeks ago now. Will it stop eventually? Do I need a specialist?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
1/25/2016
Dentist: Dr Aires, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr Aires
Dr Aires, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Its not unusual.

Think of it as if one of your muscles was injured.

Your muscle is very tight now but it will loosen in time.

To help you can do a gentle exercise.

Place one hand under your chin and gently open against the pressure of your hand.Don't open wide just an inch or so.

For the next few days do this again but this time opening slightly wider.

In 3-4 days you should be back to normal.