Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I had wisdom tooth pulled on lower left side 3 yrs ago. And…

Customer Question
I had wisdom tooth pulled...
I had wisdom tooth pulled on lower left side 3 yrs ago. And my cheek and jaw area and gums on the lower left still feel like best way I can describe it is pins and needles. Continued to ask oral surgeon for at least the first yr if this was normal. And his response was it's like an ice cube it just takes time. I finally basically gave up going because I was getting no help/relief. Anyway is this normal
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
1/24/2016
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi Stacy, I am sorry that you are experiencing "pins and needles" this long after your wisdom tooth extraction. During some wisdom tooth extractions there can be some nerve damage that occurs and that will normally heal over time and that it can take as long as several months to a year or even longer to return to normal. Most of the time the patient will experience a slow return to normal. Unfortunately after 3 years the chances of that happening now is slim to none and there is no treatment recommended for repairing the situation. Your Oral Surgeon should be honest with you and explain that to you. I am sorry I wish I could give you a magic bullet to help you but none is available. Hope this helps?

Dentist: Won Sung,
 replied 2 years ago
Won Sung

Stacy, sometimes following a very agressive oral surgery, a part of the nerve or jaw bone may get damaged. When nerve is damaged or severed, you will most likely lose the sensation. If the bone is chipped and protruded or nerve is pinched, you get pain. The best way is to seek a second opinion from another oral surgeon. They may perform "repair" to resolve the issue. Check doctor's bio for education and training and ask people for their referral.

Hi Stacy, what Dr Sung is suggesting is theoretically possible but not recommended. The success rate is very poor and new complications are possible with this attempted surgical repair which is why it is not recommended. Ask other OS. and you will find that it is not a recommended procedure.

Hi Stacy, do you need more information?