Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

In a blizzard. Have a tooth infection. Have Cipro and

Customer Question

Customer: In a blizzard. Have a tooth infection. Have Cipro and Cefuroxime on hand. Which is better?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Tooth is a upper molar and it previously broke. Treatment recommended is extraction. Have not gotten to that yet.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dentists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi Wendy, sorry you are in a blizzard. Be careful! Of the 2 antibiotics you have available Cipro would be the one to take. It is more specific for the bacteria involved with dental infections. The drugs of choice are Amoxicillin 500mg and Clindamycin 150mg or 300mg but Cipro may be used. If you have any swelling you can also use warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Do not put any heat on the outside of your face. For pain you can take 2 Advil (400mg) and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (1000 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or on blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. Hope this helps. If you need more information please let me know. If not please remember to accept our conversation so that I get credit for responding. Thanks and good luck!

Hi Wendy, do you need any more information?