Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

In a blizzard. Have a tooth infection. Have Cipro and

Customer Question
In a blizzard....

In a blizzard. Have a tooth infection. Have Cipro and Cefuroxime on hand. Which is better?

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Tooth is a upper molar and it previously broke. Treatment recommended is extraction. Have not gotten to that yet.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
1/23/2016
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi Wendy, sorry you are in a blizzard. Be careful! Of the 2 antibiotics you have available Cipro would be the one to take. It is more specific for the bacteria involved with dental infections. The drugs of choice are Amoxicillin 500mg and Clindamycin 150mg or 300mg but Cipro may be used. If you have any swelling you can also use warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Do not put any heat on the outside of your face. For pain you can take 2 Advil (400mg) and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (1000 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease or on blood thinners. This combination is as effective as a prescription medication. Hope this helps. If you need more information please let me know. If not please remember to accept our conversation so that I get credit for responding. Thanks and good luck!

Hi Wendy, do you need any more information?

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor