Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Ananda - I'm just googling about my jaw pain. Jaw is sore on

Customer Question
Customer: Ananda - I'm just...
Customer: Ananda - I'm just googling about my jaw pain. Jaw is sore on right side & I can't open my mouth all the way or close all the way & it's painful to try to do both. This started several days after I woke with a kink in my neck - my neck is better but still sore - but the pain & stiffness seems to have shifted into my jaw -- same side.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I suspect I'm tensing up at night maybe grinding my teeth - I'm not sure.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dentists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
I want to add that it's been a week an a half since my neck started hurting & it is still sore -- my jaw has been hurting for almost a week.
I have limited movement in my neck as well.
1/21/2016
Dentist: Dr. Hegland, Dentist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Hegland
Dr. Hegland, Dentist

Hello! Sorry to hear about your jaw pain. The good thing is it is likely muscular tension is all, that's also the bad thing! Sometimes muscles take a long time to relax. Are you taking any NSAIDs? I would strongly recommend a 2-3 days course every 4-6 hrs.

No, just a daily dose of turmeric. Are ibuprofen & Aleve about equal?

I would take 400 mg ibuprofen for 2-3 days and do that every 4-6 hours. That will alleviate the inflammation faster. Until that time do not try to open mouth extra wide or force yourself to eat crunchy or really chewy foods. These type of muscle spasms can take 1-2 weeks to resolve, however yours sounds like it may take at least that amount of time.

Aleve is also useful, but first attempt I would recommend ibuprofen.

Ok, thank you - will give that a try. I iced & heated during the first week or so - I quit when the progress plateaued.

Yes, it ice/heat isn't helping then discontinue for now. Also if at all possible do not sleep on your stomach, that may cause further aggravation. Any other jaw concerns/questions? If jaw isn't getting progressively better in next 7 days I would make an appointment with a dentist.

Hopefully you will get relief in the upcoming days, good luck!

Dentist: Dr. Hegland, Dentist replied 1 year ago

If you could please rate your experience it would be appreciated for the site to maintain quality assurance.

Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago
Stewart Shernan

Hi Amanda,

If you feel you may be grinding your teeth at night your jaw and neck pain and your inability to full open or close your mouth is probably due to a syndrome known as Temperomandibular Dysfunction, or TMD. Hopefully you currently have relief from your pain and symptoms. But the underlying cause remains and will likely cause a recurrence at some point. You might want to have your dentist determine whether or not you have been "bruxing" (grinding your teeth) at night. This can cause the symptoms you described and worsen over time. If you do have TMD your dentist may suggest a "night guard" - a small appliance to be worn while sleeping. The nightguard will help minimize damage caused to your teeth and Temperomandibular joint caused by the bruxing.

I'd be happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Shernan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you - I have an appointment in March. I'll ask.
Dentist: Stewart Shernan,
 replied 1 year ago

Glad to help. I've treated countless patients with symptoms like yours - including my wife. TMD can be very unpleasant. But treatment is often simple and relatively inexpensive. If you have dental insurance, perhaps have your dentist predtermine your benefits for a night guard. This might help avoid a situation where your symptoms recurr but a waiting periodof weeks is required by your insurance company while you are in pain (unless you elect to pre-pay your dentist). The predetermination of benefits will be free of charge in all likelihood.

Hope you're feeling better.

Dr. Shernan

Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan
Stewart Shernan