Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I'm really worried about numbness and tingling I keep

Customer Question
experiencing in the right side...
I'm really worried about numbness and tingling I keep experiencing in the right side of my mouth/lip/face. I started to get pain from a partially erupted upper right wisdom tooth coming through back in August last year and the numbness seemed to come and go but now it's almost constant. I've seen several doctors who say it's definitely tooth related and the tooth is pressing on a nerve leading to the lip. However I've visited 3 different dentists who say the doctors do not know what they are talking about when it comes to teeth and the wisdom tooth it's not linked to the tingling and numbness. I'm really worried from researching on the internet that I have a neurological disease or something terrible and no one seems to be giving me any answers and just passing me back and forward between doctor and dentist. The dentist has given me two courses of anti biotics in the past, taken X Ray's and I am awaiting a referral to have to tooth removed but she said I may get permanent nerve damage if the tooth is removed. I'm just worried all the time about this and was wondering if you could give me any advice. The tingling and numbness only started when I started having problems with the tooth. Also my right ear pops randomly every day and when I open my jaw sometimes it clicks on that side of the face. I have swollen gum around the tooth up there constantly. It all seems to be on the right side of my face. Please help X
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/17/2016
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Do you have a copy of the panorex xray to upload?It would be difficult to speculate about your problem without seeing the xray.How old are you and where exactly is your numbness? Is it transient or is it always there?

I'm 26 about to turn 27. The numbness comes and goes but has been more consistent in staying lately. I have sent you an opg image of my teeth
The numbness is in the corner of the right side of my mouth where the lips part and on the inside it feels a little bigger than the left side. Sometimes the numbness extends into the right side of my face too

If this xray is marked correctly,there is no lower right wisdom tooth.You only have three wisdom teeth.the lower left, the upper right and the upper left.The lower right area shows a normally erupted second molar.Is the last tooth on the right lower, the area that is inflamed?

No it's the upper right wisdom tooth that is causing me problems

The upper right wisdom tooth is a simple and easily performed extraction.It will take less than 5 minutes to remove this tooth.It will not cause you to have any permanent numbness by removing it and will immediately make you feel better.Any good general dentist can remove this tooth.This is not an oral surgeon necessity.If the area is inflamed ,you have an infection.You probably noticed that when you were on the antibiotics ,the numbness went away.Don't let anyone scare you.This is a simple extraction and you will suffer no nerve damage when it is removed.

Just a note.I would leave the other wisdom teeth alone.They may stay in their position for the rest of your life and require no treatment.

Thank you. So the numbness is linked to the tooth? Is there a reason why it causes numbness?

If you have inflammation it creates extra fluid in the area.Chronic inflammation creates more fluid and inflammatory tissue that puts pressure on the sensory nerves in the area.Get rid of the source of the inflammation and you get rid of the fluid and pressure.The numbness is not from the tooth itself,it is from the pressure of the fluid in the surrounding area.There is not enough room for the tooth in your mouth and it is causing you to be inflamed.This tooth can literally be removed in seconds by an experienced dentist.

You've put my mind at rest thank you. Why do all the dentists tell me the numbness is not normal?

Most people just have swelling but if the swelling is persistent and not treated it remains as an irritant.You also may be chewing on the inside of your cheek because this tooth is trapping some gum between your tooth and the opposing tooth.This is traumatic for tissue and tissue has sensory nerves in it.Get this tooth out already so you can have some peace.Who ever told you that you may have nerve damage from removing this tooth should have her license revoked.

When you get a chance,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site .Thanks and I hope that you feel better soon.

Thank you I just wanted to find out whether this was normal and whether I should be worried. If I don't have the tooth out will the numbness continue?

I cannot speculate on your numbness without seeing you clinically.I am wondering after what I told you why there would be any question at all about the right thing to do.It is really quite simple.Remove the irritant and you remove the symptoms.Why would you want to not have this tooth removed?Do you want the symptoms to continue or do you want them to stay?.I am confused about whether you want to get better or not.If you have a problem and the cause is evident,remove the problem and your symptoms of the problem will vanish.

Is the reason for the delay ,the misinformation that they gave you about causing nerve damage when removing this tooth?

No as I said at the beginning I am awaiting a referral to have it removed but it's taking ages. All the dentists I have seen can't explain the numbness I've been getting and said its not linked to the wisdom tooth and it's not normal.

This tooth can be removed by any private general dentist for a nominal fee.Your problem has existed for several months.I do no know the exact workings of the NHS dentists but I can tell you that the information that they are giving you is wrong.Biology and medicine is very logical.If you have an obvious abnormality in a specific location and you are having symptoms related to the same area,you remove the abnormality.This is not voodoo.The dentists that are giving you this misinformation need to go back to school.You need to start from logic.You are starting from the worst case scenario and seem to be adverse to logical thought.Do you want me to tell you that you have some kind of bizarre neurological disease?

Is there any other information that you need?

If you have no further question,please leave a rating so that we can close out this dialogue. Thanks

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)