Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

RE: tooth with dead nerve. Supposed to have it pulled but

Customer Question
Customer: ***** *****: RE...
Customer: ***** *****: RE: tooth with dead nerve. Supposed to have it pulled but it's somewhat entwind with the next molar. How long can it stay there with dead nerve. Some say they can fall out themselves?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's about all of it. It's a molar on bottom. Crown fell off twice & then big time pain while nerve dying. Had to go to walk-in clinic for a round of antibiotics, then no more pain. I would like to keep it,
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dental Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
1/16/2016
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 year ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi Gustav, a tooth with a dead nerve can sit in your mouth for a very long time as long as it is asymptomatic. They cannot "fall out themselves".

Taking antibiotics does help keep things comfortable and under control and then after the infection expands you will have another exacerbation where you will need antibiotics again. This scenario can be repeated many times until you reach a point where the antibiotics and pain pills will not work and you will need an intervention and treatment. A root canal should be able to save your tooth. You would need to see a dentist for an examination and an evaluation to see if a root canal is a possibility. If so, then you can save the tooth. Does all this make sense to you?

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor