Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

My wife had a post put in which broke within 3 years. She

Customer Question

My wife had a post put in which broke within 3 years. She was eating pizza at the time. There was no root canal done. She was presented with two options bridgework or implant. both in the $8,000 range. This is financially beyond our means. Is there alternatives available?? Why would a post break ??? Why would a post be put in while not doing a root canal ????
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

A post is not put into a tooth that has not been root canaled.Do you have a picture or xray of the remaining tooth so that I can determine if this tooth really needs to come out?Does your wife have any other missing teeth in the same arch?

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Are you still there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello.
information that might help we are retired, my wife is 64 and in good healthI will try to get back to you on some of this information, but the post was definitely put in without a root canal being done. The dentist usually sends out her patients to another dentist who does the root canal, the dentist drilled out the tooth and put the post in. this was done to tooth 22 according to records. her teeth next to it have a permanent bridge. attempting to get a copy of xray will take a couple of days. I will get back to you then thank you
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

A true post is placed into the actual canal of the tooth.If it is placed without doing root canal treatment,it spells trouble.The xray should reveal whether the root canal was actually done or not. Pins can be placed without doing a root canal.Is it possible that there were pins placed and not a post?The xray will show whether this tooth is restorable or not

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you - office is closed today. I will request copy of xray and work that has been performed on the tooth on Monday
an honest opinion is refreshing
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I will watch for the xray.