Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I am retiring after 37 yrs. i have sold my practice waiting

Customer Question

Customer: I am retiring after 37 yrs. i have sold my practice waiting for the final paper work. when do i announce to my patients about the retirement. some say six months in advance i think that is to long.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i built a group practice and my partners are purchasing my share of the practice i plan to retire in june if all the paperwork is completed. i will stay as an associate for 3 months to introduce the new grad to my patients
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dental Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jerry, congratulations on your upcoming retirement! You made it! LOL

I suggest you send a letter out 1-2 months before the end date considering you will still be available for an additional 3 months for your patients to see you and say there farewells and good wishes. That gives more than enough time to introduce anyone new to the practice. I also agree with you that 6 months is way to early to announce. People will forget and and the continuity in the transfer of care will be broken. This makes it a more proactive continuing separation that everyone will appreciate. Hope this helps!