Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have just seen my dentist here in France after 5 days of

Customer Question
gradually increasing pain stemming from...
I have just seen my dentist here in France after 5 days of gradually increasing pain stemming from my left rearmost bottom tooth. My face has also started to swell locally in the cheek area. Yesterday he x-rayed the tooth and could see nothing wrong. Their was no sign of a fracture either of the tooth or the previous filling. And evidently there was no sign of decay. At this point the pain was very hard to take and I was reducing the time between pain killers to about every 3 to 4 hours. he has given me antibiotics, anti inflammatories and pain killers presumably because he suspects an abscess but as yet I still do not know the most likely cause. Can you shed any light on this, Regards Harry
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
1/13/2016
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

If you have swelling there is a very good chance that you have an infection and that your dentist is not using all of his diagnostic skills to make a decision as to where the swelling is coming from.Do you have pain in any particular tooth? Which antibiotic are you taking and what doseage? Can you upload a copy of your xrays or can you take a picture of the swelling in your face?A picture of the tooth in question can also help make the proper diagnosis.

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine