Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I am an adult and have spoken to an orthodontist about doing

Customer Question
invisalign. He agreed my top...
I am an adult and have spoken to an orthodontist about doing invisalign. He agreed my top teeth are perfectly straight but said I needed to do both the top and bottom as the bottom would not work without doing the top as well. Does this sound right? Together it is approx $8000. Eric
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
1/12/2016
Dentist: Dr Matthew Kremser, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr Matthew Kremser
Dr Matthew Kremser, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Yes, in most cases, top and bottom are necessary. As the bottom teeth are moved, they might be limited by the upper contacts and it might be necessary to slightly move the uppers as well to allow the more significant movement of the lowers. That being said, recently Invisalign began allowing only 1 arch treatments- previously, it wasn't even an option. See if he will agree to send in the case and see if the 1 arch option is possible through Invisalign's software in your case...

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine