Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

My name is ***** ***** Jones~~I have developed a resistance

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Jones~~I have developed a resistance to novacaine in the last few years. It seems to be more prevalent in my lower mouth. I need two serious procedures done, and they have been unable to do them due to my resistance to novacaine. This has me very much concerned. My dentist and periodontist are stymied and don't offer any alternatives. They just say, "come back and we'll try again!" I'm not comfortable with shot after shot being given to me with no results. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated........thank you, ***** ***** Jones
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No, other than their attempts to give multiple shots in various parts of my lower mouth. The most recent incident was last week at the periodonist, and my mouth is still sore from the multiple shots.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dental Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, I will be back in a bit!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr Matthew Kremser replied 1 year ago.

There are multiple local anesthetics that dentists employ; your first task is to identify what anesthetic was used. Lidocaine is the most popular; but septocaine or articaine are often employed and generally agreed to be stronger. Another factor is epinephrine- anesthetics that have this ingredient have a longer duration and are more profound... do you have a health issue that may have made the dentists use a local anesthetic that was epi free?