Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Last night I was messing with my gum and looking in the

Customer Question
mirror with a flashlight....
Last night I was messing with my gum and looking in the mirror with a flashlight. i noticed a red spot right at the hard/soft palate. It looked like lots of blood vessels. I touched it and it started to bleed. It is now burning like something burnt it.
It now has a covering over it (as if healing) but if I scratch or touch it the covering breaks and it bleeds again. There is no lump/bump and nothing was there earlier in the day because I was checking my gums earlier.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/8/2016
Dentist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Any other medical issues?

Dentist: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hello

Please attach a picture.

This is most likely broken blood vessels or a small hemangioma...not harmful, but need to look.

I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.

Best I can do! It bleeds under the covering when I press on it

This is a pretty classic canker sore.

I can see it in the pic.

It is also known as an apthous ulcer. It should heal on its own in about 7-10 days

Please don't forget a positive rating.

If you have more questions, just reply :)

Would a canker sore bleed? It burns also!

yes to both.

Those suckers hurt!

And if you touch them they can bleed

I'm quite sure that is what it is

Just odd how it appeared so fast! Oral cancer would not appear overnight correct?

No and generally it isn't painful either.

It is an apthous ulcer.

they pop up overnight usually

Just concerned because it bleeds slot when I touch it

then stop touching it. LOL

Prob is everything says bleeding from ulcer is bad

not really.

the bleeding will stop within a day or two

please accept additional services

Please don't forget a positive rating.

let me know if you have more questions.

I opened the rating scale

Please don't forget a positive rating.

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor