Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I don't want anextract or root canal. upper right tooth

Customer Question

I don't want anextract or root canal. upper right tooth hurts. antibiotics help. any ideas? sm
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If a tooth is infected,there are two choices.Root canal therapy or extraction.Antibiotics will keep the infection from spreading and keep your swelling down temporarily but the infection will return if not treated.Teeth are different from hands or skin etc.Antibiotics cannot reach the pulp of the tooth and that is the source of infection.The pulp either needs to be removed with root canal therapy or the tooth needs to be extracted.I am sorry.I wish I had more options for you but the truth is,if an infected tooth is not treated, the swelling will progress into your face and you will be very uncomfortable.Many people wind up in the hospital with facial infections from teeth.I would be glad to look at your xrays to give you some more specific information.If you just have pain to cold,you may only need a filling in the tooth.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. that's all. sm
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

When you get a chance,please supply a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site.Thanks and have a great holiday.