Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

My second front top tooth on the left fell out but there is

Customer Question
Customer: my second front top...
Customer: my second front top tooth on the left fell out but there is still the root and some of the the top of the tooth is left . it has decay and it had a veneer on it which is still completely intact in the part that fell off. I went to the dentist the tooth with the veneer intact and he repaired it( it fell off the next day. the dentist is a reputibule one and said i should get a crown. i can't really afford it at this time unless its the only option.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have 8 veneers on my top 8 and bottom eight. Their is considersble decay at the gumline on the top cause of either the placement of the veneers or poor hygienge. I think the dentist I went to to deal with the tooth that had fallen out possibly used some kind of dental glue and said to be careful chewing on it which i was.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dental Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/19/2015
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 year ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

If your tooth broke off at the gumline,the only way to repair this type of problem is to place a post in the tooth and build up a new core.If the tooth has not been root canaled previously,it will need to be root canaled before the post is placed.Can you upload a picture of what you have now remaining of this tooth so we can both be on the same page?

Are you still interested in how to save this tooth??

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine