Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Katz, my name is ***** ***** and my issue is that about 10

Customer Question

Customer: hi dr katz, my name is ***** ***** and my issue is that about 10 days ago, i started experiencing extreme pain with my #12 tooth which has been permanently crowned 2 1/2 years ago. My crown is wobbly and the pain under the crown is excruciating! I went to a general dentist 3 days ago, he took an xray, said that he didn't see any cracks, or abseces but put me on the clindamycin. After 2 days, im still in extreme pain, so i called the dentist office back yesterday, the rep stated she would see if the dentist would give me another antibiotic and get back to me before the end of the day ( they close at 2 pm on Saturday) i never received that call back or another antibiotic. Im not sure what to do as im still hurting so bad, and now i have no other antibiotic and my endodontist appointment isn't til next Friday the 18th. I tried calling around for an emergency dentist but could not get ahold of anyone... not sure what is going on in my mouth, but i am miserable ( also i taste blood in my mouth when i bite down a little bit)
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: post and core buildup with permanent crown that is slightly loose and wobbly with extreme pain localized in this tooth.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dental Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure not a problem
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

From your description,it sounds like something has fractured under the crown.The pain is most likely coming from the ligament around the tooth and not the tooth itself.The ligament is particularly sensitive tany change in pressure so if the tooth is fractured,the root is moving and causing the gum to bleed from the trauma.If the dentist saw that the tooth was loose and the tooth was preciously root canaled with no abscess showing,an antibiotic will not solve your problem.An endodontist will not solve the problem either.This tooth most likely needs to be extracted form your description because it is fractured.Without seeing your xray and examining you,I cannot be 100% sure but from your description,a fracture is the likely cause.Your dentist did not make a proper diagnosis.An endodontist cannot cure a loose crown.It will be important to get back to a good dentist or an oral surgeon ASAP and have this tooth treated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would a general dentist or an endodontist be able to see the fractured portion in my tooth from an x-ray?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Even if the xray does not show the fracture,a good dentist should be able to tell that the tooth is fractured.An endodntist will be useless to you.They cannot do anything to fix the tooth or extract the tooth if that is necessary.What your dentist should have done was to remove the crown to determine what was wrong. Sorry for the delay,I am booked up all day with emergencies in my office.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem I appreciate your response! I asked the dentist to pull off The crown so he could see what is going on underneath it but he appeared to be an idiot and told me that that would not be a good idea because I had the post and core build up and it would pull the tooth out along with the crown that was his answer .. Is that correct?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

No that is incorrect.The tooth would not come out with the post and crown.The post may come out but that is what you need to have removed because the post and core has fractured.You can only tell the extent of the fracture by removing the whole crown with the post.If it has fractured above the gumline,the root can be saved and a new post and core can be constructed.If the fracture occured below the boneline it will need to be extracted.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else that I can help you with?