Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Have molar # 12 with bone loss on a cone beam image.

Customer Question
Irreversible pulpititis and suspected vertical...
Have molar # 12 with bone loss on a cone beam image. Irreversible pulpititis and suspected vertical fracture. I beleive the recommendations are to open the tooth via root canal or extraction. Do you think it is worth trying root canal to be certain before
tooth removal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/10/2015
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist

Can you share the cone beam image or even a simple xray?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
wish i could- i only have a hard copy

Ok, no problem.

Then based on the facts available to me, In my opinion, an effort should definitely be made to save the tooth by a root canal.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks!
Will they definitly know that a crack is there when they open the tooth? do they usually just stop the root canal if they see a fracture?

No, a mixlcrofrature or a very tiny crack can go undetected during a root canal. But if a massive vertical fracture is detected, the the patient is informed about the guarded prognosis. If the patient still wants to proceed, then the root canal is completed.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

Please leave a positive rating if my answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise!

Regards,

Dr.Behere

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist