Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

My sister, who is in a Nursing home, has been diagnosed with

Customer Question
Tori/Torus - she has many...
My sister, who is in a Nursing home, has been diagnosed with Tori/Torus - she has many sharp tiny bones protruding from her lower gum area. I have been unable too find anyone who is familiar with this or how to help her get rid of these. I understand some people have no pain with this, however, she appears to have a lot of pain and is unable to eat properly and/or wear her dentures. She has lost a great deal of weight and I am sure there is something that can be done to help her although the nursing home is unable to find anyone. Probably a part (or a great deal of the problem in finding someone) is that she is on Medicaid. Since I am retired, I am financially unable to assist but am in hopes you my know of someone who will accept Medicaid. Thank you for your assistance with this problem.
Constance Cofield
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dental
12/9/2015
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist

Hello Constance,

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

When tori cause functional or aesthetic problems, they can simply be surgically removed. This is a very simple procedure that involves no risk.

I understand that you would be interested in affordable dental treatment at the moment. Let me suggest a few alternatives to you:

1. Try to contact the local dental society in your area and see if there are any charitable organizations or foundations that will do your treatment for a reduced fee.

You can find the contact information of your local dental society by visiting :

http://ebusiness.ada.org/mystate.aspx

2. Consider getting treatment from a dental school near you . The charges are lesser than those charged by a private practioner.

Here is a link with the list of all the dental schools in the USA:

http://www.dentalsite.com/dentists/densch.html

3. Here is a website that lists dental offices that offer free and discounted clinics all across the country. Search for one in your area. Read each listing carefully as restrictions apply to some of the listed outlets.

http://www.freemedicalcamps.com/

4. One other option is to apply for CareCredit financing; their relaxed credit requirements facilitate payments for dental service that might otherwise not fit comfortably into your budget. You can refer to the CareCredit web site, which also has a directory for participating dentists. See: http://www.carecredit.com/

5. Also, im not sure if a bipolar disorder is considered as a disability, but there is this great program that helps people with disabilities with their dental treatment. Take a look at this : http://dentallifeline.org/

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Im just following up ! Did my answer help? If yes, please leave a positive rating for me. I do not get credit for it otherwise !

If you have any further question, do write back!

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist