Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I am having an issue over the past 5 days my inner lip

Customer Question

Hello I am having an issue over the past 5 days my inner lip inside by the chin is always very dry I also get different parts inside my mouth which are also dry, it gets especially really dry as soon as I start talking. My tounge is wet and i don't feel thirsty at all.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nissim,

It sounds as if you may have slight case of dry mouth. Dryness of the mouth is called Xerostomia, and is common as we age. THE MOST COMMON CAUSES OF DRY MOUTH ARE DEHYDRATION, SINUS INFECTIONS AND ALLERGIES. Other causes of dry mouth could be medications used for stress, anxiety, depression, allergies, hypertension, diabetes, antihistamines (Benadryl), decongestants, diet pills, sleeping pills, etc. Biotene is the most prescribed medication for this problem and it is available over the counter at any drugstore. This is the website for it: http://www.biotene.com/

Other OTC saliva substitutes include Moi-Stir, Optimoist, Mouthkote and Salivart. Most patients who have dry mouth are not thirsty but do require more water to help with the dry feeling. Try to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water each day to stay properly hydrated.Also, prescription medications like Salagen and Evoxac help produce more saliva to combat the dryness. Basic Bites Soft Chews at basic bites.com is another new product for dry mouth.

You can also try using sugar free gums and candies to help with the dryness.

Dry mouth could also be from an auto-immune disease called Sjogren”s Syndrome.

Smoking, chewing tobacco, and caffeine can also irritate dry mouth. A deviated septum will also cause dehydration. You should also avoid mouthwashes and alcohol which are also a contributing factor.

Does any of this make some sense to you given the symptoms???