Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have an abscess going on in the tooth in front of my

Customer Question
wisdom tooth on the upper...
I have an abscess going on in the tooth in front of my wisdom tooth on the upper left side of my mouth. There is a pretty large lump on the roof of my mouth near the offending tooth.
I am on antibiotics, (day 1.5) but he lump hasn't gotten smaller and the pressure is bothering me. Can I lance this thing and let the puss out? Or will that cause me more trouble? The wisdom tooth behind the abscess tooth was extracted yesterday.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
11/24/2015
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, please do not lance the "lump" because you could inadvertently damage the roof of your mouth. What you can do now is use warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 8oz of water as hot as you can safely tolerate and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Antibiotics take at least 48-72 hours to kick in and begin working so you can expect to see some benefits in about a day or so. Hopefully you are on Amoxicillin 500mg or Clindamycin 150 or 300 mg because they are the antibiotics of choice for dental infections. Does all this make sense to you?

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor