Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Does a notation on a cone beam scan stating "A well

Customer Question
circumscribed periapical radiolucency noted adjacemt...
Does a notation on a cone beam scan stating "A well circumscribed periapical radiolucency noted adjacemt to the apex of the maxillary left premolar" Mean an infection in absolutley present? The reason I ask is I have had a few issuses with lower molars and that was the purpose of the scan. He tapped the upper molars with no pain and pulp tested with no negittive results. Could this be a miss? Or is it he did not see any other issues so direguarded it>
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
11/20/2015
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

In most cases,the description that you have posted would indicate a tooth with a necrotic pulp and if the tooth has been root canaled,there is a persistent infection that is destroying bone as it expands.The radiolucency describes bone destruction but infection cannot be confirmed unless a culture is taken of the area which is in most cases not practical.If you have this type of radiolucency,it is usually accompanied by a sometimes not noticeable fistula where the infection is draining.Tapping would not give any response in these cases.The lucency is around the bicuspid and not the molars so these issues are unrelated.The maxillary premolar needs to be treated.Without seeing the xrays of the lower molars,I cannot comment on the nature of your problem with those teeth.

The treatment indicated for the premolar would be ,root canal therapy,retreatment ,apicoectomy or extraction.

Is there any other information that you need?

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)