Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I did a root canal at #31 back to April, but felt infection

Customer Question
hi, I did a root...
hi, I did a root canal at #31 back to April, but felt infection coming and going. X-ray turned out to be minor infection, I scheduled to remove the root canal this Friday, but like to hear your opinion. From tooth filing to root canal to put the crown on, it has lasted for almost 2 yrs, now I heard root canal correlated to cancer...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2015
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, are you having the root canal retreated or are you removing the tooth? As far as the cancer correlation if you read that on the web you have been misinformed and the information is not correct. Yes you can develop infections form failing root canals but not cancer. Root canals normally will last many many years if not a lifetime when done properly. Was your original root canal done by your dentist or did you go to an Endodontist? Thanks.

Dr. Root canal, thanks for the reply. Yes I did root canal with endodontist last december then had a crown with my general dentist this april. I scheduled an appointment with a dds this friday to remove the root canal tooth because all the online information pointing to the correlation btw women cancer to the root canal tooth. Then I read more, implanting after an extraction of root canal tooth could cause a problem too. What should I do? Thanks!

Hi Laura, sorry for the delay in answering. If retreatment of your root canal is not feasible then extraction is your next step. Having implants after teeth have been extracted and waiting for the bone to heal and tissue to return to normal is an accepted procedure that has a high degree of success. However, since we are talking about #31 I question if you really need a replacement. Is #32 gone and if so then you should wait to do anything further after your extraction and see how you function and feel because you can always go ahead and have an implant later if you choose to do so. No need to rush to do the implant. Especially if you can function fine without it. There is plenty of time to decide if you really need the replacement. You decide yourself going forward do not be talked into an immediate replacement. And again the cancer worry for women is absolutely not true and has no basis in fact. True for both men and women so please do not let that enter concern your mind at all. Have your extraction on Friday and then go home and heal and decide about further dentistry for this area after plenty of time has gone by. Because you will see that you will be able to eat, chew, etc just fine without #31 as long as you have # 30 and #29 in your mouth. Does all,this make sense to you?

Dr. Root Canal, thank you for your answer. My #32 is gone 13 yrs ago. Yes, your answer makes sense to me. Per your answer, I am hesitate if I need the removal of the root canal tooth at all. But why there are so many articles talking about the corelationship to cancer?

Hi Laura, did you return to your Endodontist to have it evaluated for a possible redo or surgery or did you just see your general dentist about this? As far as cancer and root canal treated teeth anything in life is possible but it is such a remote possibility that it does not enter into any established research or accredited studies nor have I ever encountered this in over 50 years of doing root canals. Please let me know WHY extraction is recommended. Thanks.

Thank you very much! I had a very minor infection (white spot under x-ray) at the bottom of the root canal tooth. DDS didn't recommend for removal, but I am planning for a pregnancy , I am afraid any potential infection in the next year will affect the baby if I get a lucky to have. That's why I decided to removal. Am I over worried? Thanks.

Hi Laura, white spots on an X-ray are not infections. BLACK spots may be signs of infection but not white! Please return to your Endodontist for an evaluation before you remove your tooth. I hope you do get lucky and have a baby and you do not need to worry about any infection from this tooth harming your baby in any way. I agree with you that you are OVER WORRYING about this. So please do not remove tooth until you see your Endo and good luck hoping you do get pregnant! :)

Thank you! I may change mind.

You are very welcome. Smart move on your part. Please remember to accept por discussion so that I get credit for responding. Thanks and good luck!

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor