Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I am a 61 year old female. For the last 4 years, I have

Customer Question
I am a 61 year...
I am a 61 year old female.
For the last 4 years, I have needed approximately 2 crowns a year for cracked teeth.
The teeth crack at the gum line and split the tooth.
Over the last 10 days, I have 3 teeth that have cracked, one fel in two, and the others are just cracked - (the x-ray shows a crack through the tooth from gum to tip of tooth) and I lost another piece of a tooth last evening (near the gum line).
Do you have any idea what might be causing my teeth to crack and fall away from the gum - my dentist seems to be at a loss - other than repairing them with crowns or a bridge.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
11/16/2015
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Did these teeth have large fillings in them when they cracked? Do you have missing teeth that have not been replaced? Do you grind or clench your teeth while sleeping or while you are awake?

Dentist: Dr Stuart P Todd, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 1 year ago
Dr Stuart P Todd
Dr Stuart P Todd, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

I agree completely with Dr Kats.

My name is***** and I am a General Dental Practitioner with over 10 years experience in NHS and Private Dental Care in the UK.

"Cracking" or Fracturing teeth can be multifactorial. For example, teeth with exceptionally large restorations / fillings can be more prone to weaker "enamel walls' breaking away from around the old filling / restoration.

Another common cause can be habitual / nocturnal bruxing. Bruxing is essentially grinding or clenching the teeth together. The amount of force that a person can apply as a nocturnal bruxist is exceptionally high and the forces applied to the teeth can lead to breaks or fractures.

My treatment modality is as well as crowning the effected teeth (if clinically justified) to provide a Dual Laminate "Guard". This is almost like a mouthguard but is firm on the outside and soft on the inside surface. This protects the wear and tear to the teeth but also spreads the load more evenly away from the teeth them self and thus dramatically decreases the risks of fracture. The can also act as a "habit breaker' which over time can decrease the subconscious grinding.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Dr Stuart Todd BDS Glas MJDF RCS Eng
General Dental Practitioner

Please remember to Rate your response to your question. this ensures the Experts are Credited for their work.

Kind Regards,

Dr Stuart Todd BDS Glas MJDF RCS Eng

Dr Stuart P Todd
Dr Stuart P Todd