Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

If my tongue web is swollen(the thing under your tongue)

Customer Question

if my tongue web is swollen(the thing under your tongue) should I go to the emergency
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is it possible for you to upload a picture so that I can get a better idea of what you are seeing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how to do that new iPhone. I was an android user forever
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

There is a paper clip option or you can contact customer service to walk you through it.It would really be helpful to see this area in a picture.I wish that I could give you my email address but the site won't allow it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not too swollen I took a picture, what is your email
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would rather not pay that if possible
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I don't blame you.Hold on I will chck the email

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The picture that you posted is extremely blurry.Are you having any difficulty breathing or do you have a fever?I cannot tell anything from the picture.Can you try again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get a good picture but it seems to be the same. Breathing normal, no obstruction. What should I look for...scared of cancer just like Everyone. Don't shame me for it😏
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I am here.Is the area just below the tongue appear swollen on one side or both? Is it just below the frenum or the thin muscle attachment that goes from the floor of your mouth to the tongue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I may be crazy but I think it's begun unswollen. Both sides are slightly swollen right under the tongue. Tongue web? I hope I have that right. I just need to know what to look for if I need to go to the ER
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

You are just looking at your salivary glands.You do not have cancer nor do you need to go to the emergency room I will check back with you soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ! Hippocratic oath intact!😏
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't do better than what I sent.😁Believe me I wish I could do more
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

The underside of most people's tongues are rather scary looking. If you have no swelling under your jaw ,have no fever or pain,you are most likely fine.Oral cancers do not have the same type of appearance that you are describing.Try not to worry.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

When you get a chance,could you please supply a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site? Thanks