How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Root Canal Doctor Your Own Question
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 1611
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Root Canal Doctor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im having extreme pain in the tooth, and now not only is my

Customer Question

Im having extreme pain in the tooth, and now not only is my lip swollen, but some of my cheek is swollen as well and feels numb
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, it appears that you may have an abscessed tooth that is causing your swelling. You do need to call your dentist, or physician, or go to urgent care and get a prescription for an antibiotic. The drugs of choice for dental infections are Amoxiciilin 500mg and Clindamycin 150 or 300mg. You should also begin using warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Do not put any heat on the outside of your face and elevate your head when sleeping. For pain you can take 2 Advil (400mg) and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (Paracetamol) (1000 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease. If you are unable to get antibiotics the warm salt water rinse will help with the swelling and you need to be seen tomorrow for an emergecy visit to treat the offending tooth. So please call your dentist early for an appointment. If they are unable to see you ask for a referral to an Endodontists office who will see you as an emergency. Does all this make sense to you?

Related Dental Questions