Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

Im having extreme pain in the tooth, and now not only is my

Customer Question

Im having extreme pain in the tooth, and now not only is my lip swollen, but some of my cheek is swollen as well and feels numb
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, it appears that you may have an abscessed tooth that is causing your swelling. You do need to call your dentist, or physician, or go to urgent care and get a prescription for an antibiotic. The drugs of choice for dental infections are Amoxiciilin 500mg and Clindamycin 150 or 300mg. You should also begin using warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Do not put any heat on the outside of your face and elevate your head when sleeping. For pain you can take 2 Advil (400mg) and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (Paracetamol) (1000 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease. If you are unable to get antibiotics the warm salt water rinse will help with the swelling and you need to be seen tomorrow for an emergecy visit to treat the offending tooth. So please call your dentist early for an appointment. If they are unable to see you ask for a referral to an Endodontists office who will see you as an emergency. Does all this make sense to you?