Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

How can I re-insert a dental bridge before I can see my

Customer Question

How can I re-insert a dental bridge before I can see my dentist?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 1 year ago.

Whether or not you can or should re-insert your bridge depends on the circumstances. If the abutment (supporting) teeth are in good repair and the bridge fell out merely due to wash-out of the luting cement, it may be feasible to attempt to temporarily re-cement your bridge until your dentist can more formally evaluate its condition. There are a variety of products for this purpose, available for purchase over the counter at your local pharmacy. Make sure you buy a product intended to cement crowns and bridges, rather than the thicker cement used to fill tooth holes. Clean out any debris from inside the bridge crowns with a toothpick, and follow the temporary cement package directions.

Be advised that this strategy will not work if one or more abutment teeth have broken off within the abutment crowns or have disintegrated from tooth decay. Attempting to re-cement your bridge under these circumstances will not provide a sufficiently strong bond, and may risk loss or either aspiration of the bridge, placing your health at risk. If this is the case, it would be preferable to not attempt to reinsert your bridge, but to simply keep it in a safe place and bring it with you to your dentist at your earliest opportunity.

Hope this helps...