Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have an abscessed tooth #13. I have been on a 10 regiment

Customer Question
Hi there! I have an abscessed...
Hi there!
I have an abscessed tooth #13. I have been on a 10 regiment of Clindamycin for 3 days now. Its pretty swollen on the outer gum area with No pain at the moment. I will be going to a endodontist next tuesday for a root canal... most likely. Is there a need to drain it before i go to the dentist or should i have them do it on tuesday?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
11/7/2015
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, there is no need to drain it before seeing the Endodontist on Tuesday. It takes 48-72 hours for the antibiotic to kick in and help you which it seems to be doing. Once you do swell the pain does leave you because the pressure from the abscess has been released into your tissues which causes the swelling. The pain comes from the increase in pressure in your bone until it is released resulting in the swelling. You look bad but feel better. What you should be doing now is using warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do NOT put any heat on the outside of your face and elevate your head when sleeping. If you do start to have any discomfort (but you probabaly will not) you can take 2 Advil (400mg) and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (1000 mg) every 4-6 hours. Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease. You should be just fine until Tuesday but please keep taking the Clindamycin until they are gone. Hope all this makes sense to you?

Hi Billy, what happened on Tuesday when you went to the Endodontist? Thanks.

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor