Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

I am having tooth pain because the tooth has moved. I

Customer Question

I am having tooth pain because the tooth has moved. I managed to move it back into place that solved the pain, but now it has moved again and hurts even worse than before. I can't eat without hurting and can't see my dentist for3-4 more days.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, so sorry you are having problems. Can you clarify for me - are you saying your tooth is mobile?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's causing much pain and I can't see my dentist till Monday or Tuesday

Well, I'm somewhat surprised. You are so so young, that loose teeth at your age are not common. Has there been an event that caused the mobility such as trauma, or, do you possibly have periodontal disease (Gum &/or bone loss) around your tooth/teeth?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have used chewing tobacco
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now I am without onsurance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to call you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gums around my tooth bleeds and is swollen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been taking naproxen 500 mg 2x a day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also ice occasionally
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?

The tobacco, would not have caused bone loss to make your tooth mobile.

But, regarding the pain: Taking 800mg Ibuprofen (Advil or equivalent), and then 8 hours later taking 1000mg Acetaminophen (Tylenol or equivalent), and then alternating between the two every 8 hours - Ibuprofen & then Acetaminophen seems to work often as well as a narcotic pain reliever. So, I would suggest taking the above for pain control. And, of course seeing the Dentist when you can in a couple days! Yes, you can call me if you'd like to: (###) ###-#### Dr. Rampton

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then NSAIDs are not working for me I feel I was hoping for a pain killer till I can see him next week. I don't want to ask for a lot only few for the weekend . The NSAIDs just not working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tooth was pushed 30 degrease medial earlier in the week but I managed to push it back in place. Now it's pushed again but too painful to push back in place
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I realize that in this day and age no one wants to prescribe pain killers but I don't know what else will help me as I've tried cold therapy and NSAIDs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am hoping my dentist will pull the tooth Cohen I can see him next week
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cohen meant when
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please dr I need help

I understand your frustration.

But you've got to understand that my hands are 100% tied. If you were my blood relative - I could not prescribe you for something I've not seen you for. The FED's and STATE DEA agencies are cracking down, and people loose their licenses - whom I know. So, while sure, I might want to help, I can't.

The "very best" thing you can do - is contact ASAP the last Dentist seen. Why? He or she, can at least legitimately prescribe for you. Not to mention have hands on care, but also address the real issue! No insurance? They will work with you - if you ask them to... I would and have and always do. But, you've just got to ask them to please help you. There are Care Credit and other programs all Dentists can offer you to assist financially.

Lastly, have you tried using the above mentioned alternating of Tylenol & Ibuprofen? Aleeve, often (my opinion) doesn't work as well - as the Tylenol/Ibuprofen alternating...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have taken Tylenol but cannot do ibuprofen. I understand if u cannot because of the law. I guess I will have to try other things to numb the pain. I'm frustrated I can't get the help I need. Hopefully my dentist can pull this tooth soon so I can get some relief.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm saddened but understand. Are there any home remedies that will work to ease the pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sorry for the slow responses as I am on a cell phone

I completely understand you. I honestly do wish I could do something, the way of a pain med. Since you recently saw the Doc, could you call him tomorrow requesting a narcotic?

Also, tonight - you could get at any drug store or Walmart, some topical benzocaine. It's cheap, and with a cotton tip, apply the benzocaine gel to your gums, etc. You can't really over use it. Just use it as needed. It will numb decently... and hopefully get you through the night till you can get a pain medication that seems to work for you...?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try it. Thank you for your time. I wish u a safe evening. Hopefully ur suggestions help. I am at my wits end. I want this tooth out. Thank you and have a good night. I will try ur suggestions

Sir, I wish you all the very best. Hang tough - OK???!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Goodbye

You are very welcome!

I hope you are feeling a bit better today, and/or have had a chance to see the Dentist (perhaps)?

Did you try the alternating Tylenol/Ibuprofen?

Please "do" rate my answer, if you would please, it affects how we are reimbursed.