Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

What are the symtoms of a dmaage partriod duct or gland.

Customer Question

Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 1 year ago.

The specific symptoms of damage to either the parotid gland or its duct would depend on the nature of the damage, as well as the location of the damage. In the broadest terms, the parotid gland may be affected by viral infection (usually mumps), bacterial infection (usually due to retrograde intrusion of oral bacteria into the duct), and more rarely (at least in the U. S), fungal or mycobacterial infection. The parotid gland also may be affected by inflammatory disease, such as sarcoidosis or Sjögren's syndrome, benign or malignant neoplastic disease, or physical trauma. The parotid gland can also be affected by the formation of stones, or "calculi", within the gland or any of the tributaries of its duct system.

Because of the wide variety of issues which may befall the parotid gland, the symptoms may vary accordingly. For example, tumors of the glands usually cause no symptoms until conspicuous swelling calls attention to their presence. In the case of parotid malignancy, these tumors have a predilection for affecting neighboring nerves, and may cause motor or sensory neuropathies, leading to either pain, numbness, or facial muscle weakness.

Perhaps one of the more conspicuous symptoms is pain or swelling. In the case of a stone causing parotid duct obstruction, patients often experience cyclical swelling and pain and then resolution before and after mealtime, when salivary secretion is stimulated. Depending on the degree of obstruction, dryness of the mouth may be noticed.

Diagnosis of parotid disease may entail a combination of imaging techniques, physical examination, immunologic tests, and sometimes biopsy, depending on the diagnosticians suspicions.

Hope this helps...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
That was very helpful
Ia it possible to damage the duct from and over extension of the mouth
The reason i ask is it all started after dental work. One thing i remember is they put a round plastic piece to prop my mouth open. Very painful when put in as my mouth and jaw was open to wide. I finally adjusted to it and the work proceded
My symptoms
Leaking left nostril
Feel a pain and sometimes fluid in ear
Pain in cheek at time
Mild facial swelling on side of mouth - upper and lower lip and side only one side
Looks like something draining into my cheek. Like a very faint sinua tract

I would consider it unlikely that a mouth prop could cause damage to the parotid gland or duct. At the very most, it might inflict superficial trauma to the duct orifice, but this would manifest as a relatively conspicuous injury to the inside of the cheek. Prolonged opening of the mouth would not be expected to cause injury to the parotid gland, although it might lead to spasm of the jaw muscles, which might account for any local pain or limitation of jaw range of motion. Prolonged opening would NOT be implicated in rhinorrhea or leakage of fluid from the nostril; this would almost certainly be unrelated to your dental care, and if sufficiently bothersome should be assessed by an ENT/rhinologist.

If there are persistent symptoms in your mouth, you should return to your dentist for a formal diagnostic assessment, but your narrative does not suggest any specific parotid abnormality.

Hope this helps...