How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Root Canal Doctor Your Own Question
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 1614
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Root Canal Doctor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dentist has recommended a root canal/crown 17 yo son.

Customer Question

Hi there! My dentist has recommended a root canal/crown for my 17 yo son. It's in the last molar top right. He said if it doesn't work, he'd then pull it and utilize that wisdom tooth in that place. My question is...should I save the $1200 & just pull it¿
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, you ask a very good question. Your son should try to keep his second molar and to insure that possibility I would recommend that your son see an Endodontist for his treatment and not have your general dentist do it. The chances of success are much greater with the Endodontist. To utilize a wisdom tooth is not always the best choice becasue the tooth does not always have the best anatomy to gurantee success and is not commonly used unless that is the only choice available. But since it is not the only choice the root canal should be your first choice. Just ask your dentist for a referral and he should be happy to do so. It is in your son's best interest to do so. Does all this makes sense to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok....what you're saying is save the tooth? The cavity is rather large. I'm concerned that I'll be paying over $1000 for something that may not work? Financially, our budget is so tight right now....
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Yes, save the tooth if possible. If the tooth is non restorable then a root canal should not be done but if it is restorable then a root canal is recommended. The success rate for a properly done root canal is over 94% which is why I recommended seing a specialist. He would not attempt to do a root canal if the tooth were not restorable or if the chances of success were not favorable. If you remove the tooth then a bridge would be made and that is also very expensive so it really comes down to waht you are willing to do or chance going forward. But the best scenario for your young son is to keep the tooth. After all, he is only 17. The only thing that would save you money now and is a 100% guarantee is to remove the 2nd molar and not replace it with anything. You can always discuss payment options with any dentist that may fit into your budget depending on what you decide to do. If finances are a problem there are alternatives! I can send you other options if you wish?

Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, have you thought more about what you will do? If you need more information please let me know. Thanks.

Related Dental Questions