How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Bornfeld, DDS Your Own Question
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 5762
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My gums and jaw hurt towards the back. Hurts when I chew or

Customer Question

My gums and jaw hurt towards the back. Hurts when I chew or open my mouth
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Can you see any change on the gums? If so, attach the photos? When did it start? Is it consistent? Does your jaw joint make a noise when you chew or open your mouth? Any other symptoms? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Does anything make it better or worse? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any other medications? Any family medical hitters?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tough to get a photo that far back the gums are a little swollen and white color. It started 2 days ago, it is consistent. No noise when I chew or open my mouth but hurts when I swallow open my mouth or move my jaw side to side. I do have a wisdom tooth in that area. Keeping my mouth closed keeps the pain mild and it runs along the whole back side of my gums and cheek. I am 5'3 115 pounds no medical problems surgeries. I am taking a mild antibiotic for acne.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

I can see swelling in the area. It could be infection or inflammation there. You should see a dentist because it could be due to the wisdom tooth.