Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

Past few months, I have had extreme tongue sensitivity. My

Customer Question

For the past few months, I have had extreme tongue sensitivity. My doctor thought it was thrush and we tried both the mouth rinse and then some lozenges to get it stopped. My tongue changes from day to day. At times, my inner cheeks are also affected and get "chewed up" looking. I don't know where to go for diagnosis and treatment. Any ideas?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

When you say doctor, do you mean a dentist? Has a dentist checked you out and tried the mouth rinses etc or a physician?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it was my family doctor.
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 1 year ago.

I thought so. Please see a dentist for your tongue and cheeks. Even better, if there is a Dental School nearby, visit the Oral Medicine department there.

Other than fungal infections, there are so many reasons why there can be sensitivity in the tongue and alteration of texture and irritation in the cheeks. Without photos, I cannot pinpoint a condition for you.

However, none of these are dangerous. Most can be managed with steroids, either topical or in tablet form. Sometimes, a biopsy has to be done to determine the cellular origin of the condition for a 100% diagnosis.

For now, I suggest you get a anesthetic gel from the local pharmacy and apply it to the sore areas of the tongue and the cheeks.

And visit a dentist / dental school whenever u can.

Hope this answers your question . Feel free to contact me again for more information.

Please leave a positive rating if my answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise!

Regards,

Dr Behere