Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
2883465

If I practiced for ten years as a pediatric dentist and then

Customer Question

If I practiced for ten years as a pediatric dentist and then quit to raise children for 15 years, how can i become qualified to practice again? I have kept my state license active throughout the entire time and am 51 years old.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 1 year ago.

I understand your situation. I have experienced long intervals away from active clinical practice myself, while raising children.

What I did and what I would suggest to you is to take several clinical CE's that will help refresh your skills and get you updated to new techniques and materials. If you have kept your license active, no doubt that you have kept up continuing education requirements but perhaps did not take the more hands on active participation courses?

I would think that one of the difficult challenges to starting out again would be obtaining malpractice coverage. Insurance companies will see a gap as a consideration for coverage or not. If you take a few update clinical courses that won't be as big an issue.

In addition, joining a group practice might be beneficial as it would peer support and educational opportunities that solo practice won't.

I hope that helps. Please ask further questions if I can help further.