Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

If I practiced for ten years as a pediatric dentist and then…

Customer Question
If I practiced for ten...
If I practiced for ten years as a pediatric dentist and then quit to raise children for 15 years, how can i become qualified to practice again? I have kept my state license active throughout the entire time and am 51 years old.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 4 days by:
10/24/2015
Dentist: Dr. Peel, Dentist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel, Dentist

I understand your situation. I have experienced long intervals away from active clinical practice myself, while raising children.

What I did and what I would suggest to you is to take several clinical CE's that will help refresh your skills and get you updated to new techniques and materials. If you have kept your license active, no doubt that you have kept up continuing education requirements but perhaps did not take the more hands on active participation courses?

I would think that one of the difficult challenges to starting out again would be obtaining malpractice coverage. Insurance companies will see a gap as a consideration for coverage or not. If you take a few update clinical courses that won't be as big an issue.

In addition, joining a group practice might be beneficial as it would peer support and educational opportunities that solo practice won't.

I hope that helps. Please ask further questions if I can help further.