How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Bornfeld, DDS Your Own Question
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 5756
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have Osteoporosis. I also have gum disease. My teeth are

Customer Question

I have Osteoporosis. I also have gum disease. My teeth are falling out at the gums and the roots are still up in the gums. I also have a Goieter on my Thyroid which is growing inward. I have 4 teeth left on top and 11 on the bottom. It's extremely painful (from 1 to 10, It's a 15) and now I have a knot on the right lower jaw bone. I've been to many Dentists seeking help but since I don't have dental insurance and I can't afford to pay cash, they won't help me. My medical doctor refuses to treat the Osteoporosis until the dental is taken care of. The last dentist I saw told me that if my jaw bones becomes affected, it would be worse than Cancer. I don't understand why, if my situation is so painful, dangerous and risky, no one will help me. I have excellent Medical Insurance, which doesn't seem to matter. What's happening to me? What am I to expect, besides the pain, in the future without treatment. Thank You for your time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 1 year ago.

It is unfortunate that you are unable to find a venue for your needed professional dental care. Since the implied problem is your financial constraints, your best first step would be to seek out third-party health financing programs, because dental practices do not as a rule offer financing on their own. Perhaps the best known of these programs is CareCredit, which has relatively lenient credit rating requirements. I would commend you to their web site to investigate whether you qualify:

If you fall below the poverty level and do not have sufficient credit to qualify for financing, consider investigating some of the sources of reduced fee dental care:

--If you are disabled, you may qualify for your state's Donated Dental Services program. In some states, overt disability may not be required to qualify, so it may be worthwhile to contact your local chapter to inquire. You can find contact information for your state DDS program here:

--If you fall below the poverty level, you should consider applying for Medicaid. Admittedly, some state Medicaid dental programs have been largely gutted, and provide only the most basic care, but they should be able to assess and treat your infection, which is a priority. See:

--Dental service is available at dental school clinics at fees that are substantially below those at private practices. See:

--You can seek dental care in a community-based federally subsidized clinic; to find one near you, see:; see also:

--Several charitable programs provide free dental clinics around the country. Contact: Dentistry From the Heart or Oral Health America.

--You may also contact your local component of the American Dental Association for more community-based guidance for sources of dental care. See:

Hope this helps...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have called every income based dental program in and around my area with no luck. I know that what I have is also a medical problem. At what point or how much sicker do I have to be before my health insurance would possibly step up and cover costs. I'm disabled on SS. I can't finance anything. I have tried every reference I've been referred to. It hurts so bad that I have to keep an ice pack on my face. I can't hardly eat and my lower right Jaw has a goose egg sized very painfull knot that is very noticeable. I know I've already mentioned this and I do appreciate the time and all the effort you put into helping me. This has left me so depressed. I've always thought that doctors who see a patient were 1st to treat their patient and stabilize any infection so it doesn't get worse; 2nd deal with costs. Thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean by "no luck"? Do you mean that you do not qualify for third party financing?

As for medical insurance providing coverage: it will not provide benefits for dental service or dental services rendered by a dentist, regardless of whether your dental disease has systemic implications. At most, medical insurance will reimburse some surgical services to address dental infection, such as incision and drainage of an abscess, or the provision of antibiotic for dental infection by your medical doctor. For other dental service, you will need to arrange for financing, or if you don't qualify due to poor credit, you should apply for coverage through social services/Medicaid.

Good luck!