Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

In my upper jaw, between tooth 16 And 17,about 1cm up to

Customer Question
Hi doctor, in my upper...
Hi doctor, in my upper jaw, between tooth 16 And 17,about 1cm up to theese teeth I have a hard,not movable Very hard bump,not visible because too far to see...Bump is 8mm long 4 mm wide and about 2mm buccal from gum...a Tooth 18 And 28 were removed 9 yrs a go. I am 34 year old man. On my OPG Last week dentist didnt see anything interesting.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Last week i Was ať dentist due mild pain in region 16,17,but dentist didnt know...Washington Young without atestation
Not Washington but was ☺ sry
10/18/2015
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Hi, from your description it sounds as if you have an exostosis of bone which sometimes is referred to as a maxillary torus. Hard boney projections from the bone are deemed harmless and normal as opposed to soft, fluctuant and moveable swellings which are a definite sign of an active infection. These tori can be unilateral or bilateral and pose no problems unless a denture is required and then the exostosis would need to be removed. You did mention some some mild discomfort in the 16-17 area. Were you tender to biting or chewing or to hot or cold foods? Was your cheek swollen in the area? If you had none of these symptoms then it could be sinus related or from a localized irritation from eating something that traumatized the area. If your dentist took an X-ray and could not palpate any soreness then you should be ok going forward. If it is a tooth it will localize and get worse over time and then your dentist will be able to diagnose the cause and treat the problem. Does all this make sense to you?

Well,
Thanks for answer...its something between discomfort and pain...no other swollens problems...just this probably bony bump which sometimes hurt and sometimes i have feel like IT little bit mooving with 15 and 14 teeth.And if There is really something hard, how That is not viewable on OPG...Dentist is Young, without Any praction...Thx

Since you do not have any tooth related symptoms and nothing was apparent on an X-ray then I would just wait until something definitive actually becomes apparent. You do not want your dentist to start doing things in your mouth without being sure what is really happening without a positive sure diagnosis. Guessing at this point is premature so please do not allow anything to be done until both of you are sure what and where the problem (if any) really is! OK?

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine