Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I had the roof of my mouth and now it's really hurting, the

Customer Question
I had burnt the roof...
I had burnt the roof of my mouth and now it's really hurting, the left side got better but it's hurting bad on the right side like right up again my teeth, I looked at it with a dental mirror I had and there is a dark kind of red spot and when I feel it, it feels like a little indentation almost, I'm worried about this
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
10/12/2015
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 2 years ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine

It is rare for a thermal burn to produce worrisome morbidity; it is merely a matter of time before the natural healing process brings resolution to the symptoms. (Your description is consistent with a thermal injury, which can cause blistering and then a de-roofing of the blister(s), causing red, shallow ulcers.)

If you are having difficulty managing your symptoms, you should consider purchasing a topical anesthetic product from your local pharmacy, where there are a variety of different types (e.g., Anbesol, Cank-Aid, Zilactin, Campho-Phenique) available over the counter. Seldom are there any permanent aftereffects from this type of injury.

Hope this helps...

I have anbesol here at home, so I should use that? Any cause for concern or to be worried about this?

There is nothing in your narrative that arouses any concerns. The history is consistent with a diagnosis of thermal injury, as is your stated symptoms. The mouth is quite capable of recovering from this event, and management is limited to symptom control. You may feel free to use your Anbesol. Oral analgesics (e.g., ibuprofen, acetaminophen) will also help to take the edge off your pain.

Good luck!

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist