Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have two ill fitting crowns on upper left back molars

Customer Question
which channel food directly into...
I have two ill fitting crowns on upper left back molars which channel food directly into the gum. They have not been replaced and have caused a pocket between the teeth. Had a lot of pain and went for emergency visit. A deep cleaning was done. Pain continued.
I developed a fever within 24 hours and made midnight call to dentist who prescribed amoxicillin 500mg every 8 hours. Been on it now for almost 48 hours. I developed an abscess behind these teeth over the area where my wisdom tooth used to be. Today it burst.
Lots of blood and pus. Have been using salt water rinses and continue on antibiotic. Abscess continues to drain 4 hours after bursting. Called dentist but they can't see me till Mon. What advice can you give so I don't lose this tooth, or develop worse infection.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/10/2015
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

The antibiotic has not really had a long enough time to work.It takes at least 48 hours before any effects will start to be seen.You are on the correct dose of amoxicillin and should remain on it around the clock every 8 hours. The infection will continue to be more isolated but without seeing an xray of the area,I cannot tell you if these teeth or teeth are able to be saved.If the pocketing is that severe causing this type of infection,you may lose one or both of the teeth involved.The infection will not vanish with the antibiotic alone.The source of the infection needs to be treated.If the tooth itself is infected,then root canal therapy or extraction is your only option.If the gum infection is that severe,there may not be enough bone remaining around the tooth to save it.Again,without the xray,I cannot give you any more detailed information.I am just trying to be honest with you based on the information that you posted.I would rinse with hydrogen peroxide or very strong salt water 3 to 4 times a day to keep the area clear and stay on the amoxicillin.

I will be signing off for the night but will look for any further questions that you may have in the morning.

Is there any further information that you need?

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)