Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I noticed a small bump in my cheek. Close and above the

Customer Question
Hi, I noticed a small bump...
I noticed a small bump in my cheek. Close and above the parotid gland. It seemed to swell or fill up and then pop the last few days but there is still a bump it seems under the surface. It has a little white head or cover on top of it. I do not have health insurance so I'm not sure if this warrants getting checked out. Any help would be great.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
10/7/2015
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

For me to give you a better answer is it possible for you to upload a photo of that area here? You can either attach the photo directly with your reply or use an external photo sharing site like www.imgur.com and paste the URL of the photo in your reply.

Regards,

Dr Behere

It is the white spot in the middle that still feels like a bump. The other spots are from me kinda scratching i .

Thanks for the photos.

Dont worry, the bump is just the parotid papilla X a flap of tissue that covers the orifice of the parotid duct. Everyone has this flap.

The white spots are called as Fordyce's Granules. These are normal too, and again, everyone has them. If you look up this term in Google Images, you will see thousands of photos just like yours.

You do not need to get this checked out.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

Please leave a positive rating if my answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise!

Regards,

Dr Behere

I must disagree. The one white spot feels like a little hard bump. I mentioned I think it swelled and popped recently but not sure. It still feels like a small hard bump that is new.

I will opt out, so that another expert can take a shot at it.

Regards,

Dr Behere

Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist