Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
2883465

I have a yeast infection from taking antibiotics. I'm using

Customer Question

I have a yeast infection from taking antibiotics. I'm using Clotrimazole and Fluconazole to treat it. I am brushing my tongue with my tooth brush with tooth paste and peroxide. I developed a little tenderness and redness and swelling under my tongue where it connects to the bottom of my mouth, with a white spot on the tender spot. I'm using a Benzalkonium Chloride/Camphor cold sore medication to treat that. Also rinsing my mouth with salt water and listerine. Is there anything better I could treat it with and what can I use to keep my mouth from being so dry at night? Is this normal or is it something I should be concerned about?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 2 years ago.

If you truly have a yeast infection (you do not specify, but I'll assume for the sake of my answer that it's in your mouth), and assuming you're taking an appropriate dosage of antimycotic infection, and assuming your yeast infection is solely the result of your antibiotic therapy and that you've discontinued the antibiotics (other than the clotrimazole and fluconazole), then you're already doing all that would ordinarily be done to manage the yeast infection. Having said that, (1) it is not uncommon for clinicians to misdiagnose other oral conditions as yeast infections, and (2) there are reasons other than antibiotics that may account for oral yeast infection.

So, if you do not experience a significant improvement in your oral condition within a reasonable time frame (on the outside, two weeks of antimycotic therapy), you will need a re-evaluation to verify your diagnosis and to modify your treatment based on the re-evaluation.

Unless the sore spot under your tongue causes significant pain, I would advise against the treatment with additional topical agents. Benzalkonium chloride provides almost no therapeutic benefit (it is a relatively ineffective topical disinfectant), and camphor may serve as an irritant, which is exactly the opposite of what you want when there is mucous membrane irritation.

Dry mouth may or may not be related to your other symptoms-- a deficiency of saliva is anecdotaly associated with a higher risk of oral yeast infection, and in the absence of the lubricating effects of saliva, may lead to mechanical irritation of the tissues. While it is normal for the flow of saliva to diminish significantly during sleep, an abnormal dryness does merit some investigation. It may be the result of anything from primary salivary gland disease, to medications (e.g., antidepressants, blood pressure medications, anxiety medications, and others) which inhibit salivary flow, to mouth breathing secondary to nasal obstruction, to a low-humidity condition of indoor air (a particular problem with the coming heating season). All these possibilities need to be explored if your oral dryness is sufficiently severe to cause discomfort.

Hope this helps...