Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Alex, My dad was suffering from mouth ulcers from 5 days and

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Alex,
My dad was suffering from mouth ulcers from 5 days and we took to general physician where he recommended to get it checked from Dentist once and gave him antibiotics (Cerfuxime 500) as it wasn't showing much improvement
Then Yesterday I took my dad to dentist where the dentist found the ulcer type reaction and took the X-Ray to understand the problem and find out whether it could be a sign of Oral Cancer but dentist asked my dad that whether he smokes or undertake alcohol but he doesn't take any of it from last 10 years.
Today, The X-Ray report showed that he has ulceration on outer part of gums and reported a bone loss. Dentist has given Cerfuxime 250 and Vitamin B12 to see for another 7 days for any improvement.
But since start of this, My Dad isn't having any major pain. I am taking the second opinion from you that what can be the cause of it? Is this really sign of Oral Cancer? And when can we see the improvement? My dad's age is 55 years
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Mouth ulcers are common and most will vanish by themselves within 10 days.There are many causes for mouth ulcers including viral infections,lack of sleep,vitamin deficiencies,stress,change of diet and trauma.There should really be no concern about oral cancer at this stage.Oral cancer does not present itself this way.I really doubt if antibiotics are the proper treatment here.Xrays will not be significant either for diagnosing ulcers.You need to give this time and make sure that your father is getting lots of sleep.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor for the response, it is really assuring.
X-Ray described that there is no teeth inside the gums where ulcer is present; local dentist has started vitamin b complex and probiotic capsules to cover up on vitamin deficiency if any.
Mouth anaesthetic gel is also prescribed, doctor has put dad under observation till Monday.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Xrays are useless to diagnose ulcers.Most medical doctors don't really have a good working knowledge of how to treat ulcers.The best ointment for the ulcers is a prescription called Kenalog in Orabase,It can be called in to the pharmacy and your father will get quick relief.If your father is generally healthy,the probiotic and vit B will really do nothing for him nor will an antibiotic.Let them run their course,he should get better within another 5 days.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If you have more questions please ask.If not ,when you get a chance ,please supply a rating so that we can maintain good quality control. Thanks