Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I have a temporary bridge in place, now the tooth in the

Customer Question

I have a temporary bridge in place, now the tooth in the middle is going to be pulled. After the extraction, replacing the temporary on the two prepped anchor teeth will make the extraction site unavailable for rinsing/cleaning. The nurse said she could adjust the temp to have space for rinsing but when the Dr, came in he got all huffy and said the site could be covered up and I did not need to rinse it. i did not feel comfortable as he kept interrupting me and basically told me he was the expert and I was being concerned for nothing so I left. Another Doctor will pull the tooth next week but I still want access to be able to rinse the site. Am I being unreasonble?.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I understand your concern and your insights are logical.The situation with the socket is,is that it heals by itself with no intervention from the bottom up and it takes about six weeks to close completely.The advantage of the temporay is that it can keep things from getting under it.Most people have problems after an extraction because of too vigorous rinsing and this dislodges the clot.After 24 hours the clot has usually formed.From then on the socket heals itself.One of the best ways to clean around and under the bridge is with a water pik.There is still some space under the bridge to clean with a floss threader or a water pik.If you feel like you need more room for cleaning,the bridge can easily be adjusted.When the next bridge is placed,let them know that you want some extra room.It would not have been difficult for your dentist to appease you.I do not think you are in any danger.Pick up some floss threaders,that are available at the pharmacy,and you can guide these things under the bridge with floss to keep the underside clean.Does any of this make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good enough! I, sadly, have had several extractions and I do feel better if my swishing with salt water, can reach the area. So I will be fine with a little adjustment on the temp. The dentist was an oral surgeon that comes into the oFfice every two weeks. I'm sure I just was not important or lucrative enough to warrant his time.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I doubt that the oral surgeon even knew how to remove it and adjust it.They just don't do these things daily and they think as specialists that they don't have to.Try the floss threaders.They work really well.