Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

A bad tooth fell out but the roots are still there. My

Customer Question

A bad tooth fell out but the roots are still there. My dentist said In need to go to an oral surgeon to have it removed. No root canal done and no pain. Do I really need oral surgery?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

You don't need oral surgery,you just need to have someone,either a general dentist with experience or an oral surgeon to extract the remaining roots.There are plenty of good general dentists that can do this for you at a lower price.Removing the roots is really just like removing the tooth.You need to have these roots removed because they are now infected. The infection is draining into your mouth but when the drainage stops,it will progress to swelling in your face.It is best to have the remaining roots extracted ASAP.The whole process normally takes about 15 minutes or less.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am new to my area and dentist. Why wouldn't he do this? Why no pain?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Some dentists don't feel comfortable taking teeth out.Can you imagine that? They spend all of those years in school dealing with teeth and don't know how to extract a tooth.The reason you are not in pain now is that the infection around the roots is just draining into your mouth.When something blocks that drainage or the infection increases around the root tip,the swelling and pain will come and you will have wished that you had the roots removed before this happens.Your face could blow up like a softball overnight.I have seen it happen on hundreds of occasions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oooo, it will be a week tomorrow and I haven't felt any draining or foul smell but I will get it attended to. Do you have an idea of the cost? I am retired and am on a limited income
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any chance the roots are already dead?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

If I saw an xray of the area I could give you a better idea but an average price for a root tip extraction may run in the $150 range.It is hard to tell when these type of things flare up but if I didin't tell you that they do,I would not be giving you an honest answer.A sure sign that you should act on this with haste is if you start to get swollen. Once the swelling starts it takes a while to stop the process .That is why it is better to get them removed before they really become a problem.I am sure that the roots are dead.It is the dead pulp that is inside of the roots that cause the infection.When a tooth is infected,extraction or root canal is your only option.If you have lost the crown of the tooth, the remaining roots are necessarily infected.Because the tooth is not restorable,your only option is to extract the roots.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

You are quite welcome.If you have a dental school around you,they can do the extraction there and it may save you some money.

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

When you get a chance,can you please supply a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site.? Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

Is there any more information that you need?