Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I noticed what look likes growths in my lower gums today.

Customer Question

I noticed what look likes growths in my lower gums today. One side has what look likes 3 small ridges protruding from the gums and one side is fairly large. There is no pain. The growths are hard to the touch.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 2 years ago.

If you can upload/attach a photo it would help in the diagnosis.

If these "growths" are located on the inside of your mouth on the tongue side they are most likely mandibular tori which is an exostosis or overgrowth of bone and is perfectly normal. They are usually hard to touch and vary in size and are usually bilateral.

Here is a website that describes these growths: http://www.mandibulartori.com/2013/08/causes-of-extra-bone-in-mouth.html

So if you can please upload a photo I can confirm what I believe you have.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is a picture attached. I received a routine cleaning 2 months ago and did not notice these bumps. Can m. tori develop this quickly?

Hi, thanks for the great photo.

They are definitely tori and are perfectly normal.

They have been growing there for a long time and you just now happen to notice them.

Perhaps following the cleaning appointment you became more aware of your mouth and its contents. They are normal and are nothing for you to be concerned about. They do not cause any issues with your teeth and they may even increase in size as you get older but that is also perfectly normal.

They are usually the same size on each side but not always so do not be concerned if one side is larger than the other.

Hope this helps!!!

If you need more information please let me know.

Please leave a positive rating so I can get credit for our conversation .

Thanks.

Hi, did you need more information?