Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I was reading the answer u had for pain a in ear down alng

Customer Question
jaw line.It's my right side...
I was reading the answer u had for pain a in ear down alng jaw line.It's my right side and only the right side of my throat hurts a little when swallowing.I've seen An Ent ,I had dizziness, he prescribed me antibiotics and Flonase and it went away.However the ear pain has not and he says it's my allergies causing the issue with the ear pain.I know I need to go back to see him for this but what could this jaw ,ear,throat issue be?I've had this for awhile now.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
9/5/2015
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

Have you been to a dentist and had a full xray done of your mouth?

Interestingly I did have a cracked bottom molar that ended up being a disaster on my right side.Told i needed a root canal,then told no,just fill it.I had it filled and then the pain started with the tooth.They suggested I had an expert do a root canal because I had curved root.Needless to say most the pain went away.I still had pain in the tooth.I followed up like 3 times and did x-rays telling me the nerves are gone,no reason why my tooth still hurt.I went back to regular dentist and they suggested to just pull it.and consider a dental implant.So I had it pulled..They put a graft in place for future implant.I visited dentist like 6 months ago and asked about the jaw pain.They took xray and said they didn't see anything but Maybe I need to talk to there surgeon..I haven't made appt with him yet.It does knd of hurt right under the jaw right where the tooth was.Doesn't hurt my gums just my outside jaw.My left side jaw and ear hurts occasionally. I do have some jaw popping ,which was told I may have TMJ.
Sorry so long

If you have missing teeth that have not been replaced and you have pain in your ear,the pain most likely is from TMJ dysfunction.Many times this can be corrected by adjusting the bite but replacing the missing teeth may be necessary depending on which teeth and how many are lost.If you have a panorex xray to upload,I could give you some more specific information about your case and what to do.

Im.just missing the bottom 2nd to the back molar.I don't have my wisdom teeth anymore.Why would I have pain where the tooth used to be on the bottom of my jaw.It almost feels like there's something there,like something sharp.Not in my gums just the jaw

Is it on the inside of your jaw ,on the tongue side? Do you feel a roughness or sharpness there?

Would TMJ cause the right side of my throat hurt alittle?
It's inside the jaw.no roughness

TMJ would not cause your throat to hurt.Your problems seems to be coming from an area on the inside of your jaw ,the tongue side, in the area where the tooth was extracted.Sometimes when the bone heals in this area, there is a sharp ledge on the inside that causes the tissue to tear and because of the tongue constantly moving over this area,healing is disrupted,your throat will feel sore and your jaw will ache.I have seen the tissue tear and bone exposed 15 years after the extraction was done.The tissue on the inside of the lower jaw is very fragile and thin.You need to return to a good oral surgeon and have them smooth the bone down that is exposed so that healing will take place.If this is not done,it will constantly bother you.It is a short procedure and takes only about 15 minutes.If you feel carefully with your tongue on the inside of your jaw,you will probably notice an irregular area where bone is showing through.This will irritate the tongue and cause the sore throat.

Is there anything that is unclear?

No its clear but I don't feel anything inside the jaw line near my tongue.I never really noticed an area near where my wisdom tooth used to be the bone is sticking out really far,not coming out my gums or anything .It's definitely not smooth like my other side.I don't know if that's something to bring up to my dentist.I had wisdom teeth out like almost 15 -20 years ago.I'm going to go see a different dentist than who I'm seeing.Thanks for your help.

The area may be fairly low towards the floor of your mouth so you may not be able to see it.These areas can come up many years after the extraction has been done.Have the new dentist check out the inside of your jaw carefully.Many dentists do not check this area thoroughly so it is important that you describe your symptoms with detail.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)