Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I had tooth number 12 extracted in July...no pain for

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Chen, I had tooth number 12 extracted in July...no pain for awhile, however, the tooth adjacent to it is now in pain. Is this normal?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

I do not believe that Dr. Chen is available but let me see if I can help you so that you will not have to wait.If tooth #12 was extracted and has not been replaced yet,the most likely cause of pain in your adjacent tooth is your bite.If teeth are not in contact,they will move and drift.This will cause abnormal pressure on the adjacent teeth and if you grind or clench,it will make this more evident.Once the tooth is replaced,the pain will stop.In the meantime,your dentist can do a minor bite adjustment by buffing the cusp of this tooth and you will get immediate relief.The whole process will take les than 15 seconds and is painless.This pain is most likely coming from the ligament around the tooth and not the tooth itself.Hope this helps,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.When you get a chance,please supply a rating so that we can maintain good quality control.Thanks